Thursday, March 4, 2010

Roadhouse grill yeast rolls recipe


I absolutly love the rolls they have at the Roadhouse Grill.  They are simply the best and they melt in your mouth.  We always eat a ton of them when we go there. I wanted to make those rolls.  So I searched online to see if anyone had the recipe.  I found this one recipe that claimed to be very close.  So I decided to try it.  I set out on a venture to make the rolls from Roadhouse grill. 
At first I noticed right away that the recipe said it makes 5-6 dozen rolls.  Well after getting the dough all made up and starting to shape my rolls, I realized there was no way it could make the same size rolls if there was going to be 5-6 dozen.  Maybe 3 dozen at the same size.  But I followed the recipe and made about 5 dozen rolls, although smaller than what they have at the resteraunt.  I let them rise, which took forever.  I think if I gave them more time they would've turned out lighter then they did.  But it was getting close to dinner time.  I started all this around 1pm.  I didn't finish until almost 6pm.  So the rising part takes forever.
But anyway, I got the rolls made and tested them out.  The first batch was too dark, so I shortened the cooking time since the rolls were small.  The rest were much better.  They tasted great, but not as great as the Roadhouse rolls.  These weren't as fluffy and just didn't melt in your mouth the same way.  However they did tast the same.  I even made the honey butter recipe that came with it, it had called for cinnamon which I was skeptical about.  But it tasted excellent.
So in conclusion, the rolls tasted very good.  I think I will try the recipe again soon, but make the rolls bigger and give them more time to rise.  Adam suggested I use my mini loaf pan for them so they would be the right size.  When I try it again I will be sure to post the results.
If you'd like to try them for yourself then here's the recipe:

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
8 cups flour
2 tbs. melted butter
2 whole eggs
2 tsp. salt


Directions:
Soften yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar.  Scald milk;cool t luke warm.  Add yeast, sugar, and enough flour to make a medium batter ( I did 2 c.).  Beat thoroughly.  Let stand until light and foamy.  Add melted butter (which has been cooled), eggs, and salt.  Beat well.  Add enough flour to form a soft dough.  Sprinkle amount of flour on counter and let dough rest.  Meanwhile, clean and dry bowl; grease clean surface of bowl.  Knead dough until smooth and satiny.  Put in greased bowl; turn over once to grease top.  Cover, let rise in a warm ace until doubled in bulk.  Punch down.  Turn out onto floured surface.  Divide into portions for shaping.  Let rest 10 minutes.  Shape dough into desired forms.  Place on greased baking sheets.  Let rise until doubled.  Bale at 375 degrees for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 for 10-15 minutes more.  Cool on rack.  Makes 5-6 dozen.

Cinnamon butter
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. cinnamon
Blend all ingredients at room temperature.


No comments: